Lean In! Fearless Fundraising.
If you aren’t aware of the Lean In phenomenon; then lean in and wake up! The concept applies to everyone in every industry. It certainly applies to professional fundraising. Here are five tips I’ve collected from our fearless peers who have lead the way in fearlessly Leaning In.
1. Focus on your deep spiritual conversion and create your clear, compelling mission before you even think about making an ask: As put forth by former monk and popular consultant Charles LaFond. Lean in together and think about what you’re asking for.
2. You’ll Never Know if you Don’t Ask: As Jerold Panas so eloquently puts it, “The most heinous sin of all – you didn’t ask.” Lean in and ASK.
3. You’ve got to talk to the decision-maker: So “start at the top” says fearless fundraiser Anne Garnett. She further advises, “It’s a lot faster than trying to work your way up from the bottom.” Lean in and ask the one who holds the key to the bank account.
4. Don’t fill the Silence: Roxanne Hinds and Dana Lucka say, “He who speaks first looses”. Lean In and Listen.
5. And finally, I fearlessly Iean in by taking myself out of the equation and taking the focus away from the fundraising word by exchanging it with “Advocating and telling your story for the Cause”. The change in ones mindset is extraordinary when you lean in as an advocate rather than a fundraiser. Lean in as an Advocate, tell your story, and the money will follow.Pages: