1. How to Raise Money via Facebook: We’ve got the “21 things you should know about facebook” type of articles, how nonprofits can use facebook ads effectively, and my favorite, separating your personal facebook page from your non profit page; sounds simple – not necessarily so….
2. Year-end Fundraising: Just yoga’d the Autumnal Equinox and simultaneously my in-box is over-loading with solicitations to prepare for year end. It’s reminiscent of school supplies showing up in Target the day after the 4th of July. What was out there in September: how to do it, start it now, get your board to help, hire someone to do it for you now!, help your donor’s say ‘yes’, and year-end mistakes to avoid. It’s some good stuff; read up on it NOW!
3. The Iphone 5: Not so much fundraising, but certainly trending and with that there are new fundraising apps and fundraising-use chatter. For example: “think face to face – think mobile”. Or this new app: Shoparoo has partnered with Proctor & Gamble and Unilever, who produce brands like Dove, Suave, Ragu and Skippy, to raise money for schools. Consumers essentially donate (report) their purchasing habits. You use the app to submit receipts from super-centers, groceries, clubs, pet stores, dollar stores, convenience stores and drug stores- a portion of the proceeds arrive at your designated school; but beware OR prepare for coupons galore filling your in-box.
4. Saying “Thanks”: Clearly this September trend is securely attached to many nonprofit’s rounding the corner to their fiscal year-end. From the “art of saying thank you” to “anyone can say thank you – just have someone do it”.
5. Political Fundraising: This could very well remain on the ‘what’s trending’ short list long after November 4th. A couple new ones to be mindful of: The Chronicle added, “Where the 2012 Presidential Candidates Stand on Key Nonprofit Issues” by Suzanne Perry. The Non Profit Times included, “With Election Around The Corner, Charities Must Tread Carefully” by Janice Ryan & Ronald Jacobs. I encourage you to read both if you haven’t already.
If you want to contribute to ‘what’s trending in fundraising’, give me a holla at